Molybdenum Disulfide powder is considered as a solid lubricant additive in the production of EP high performance greases.
A number of unique properties distinguish molybdenum disulfide from other solid lubricants:
– A low coefficient of friction (0.03-0.06) which, unlike graphite, is inherent and not a result of absorbed films or gases;
– A strong affinity for metallic surfaces;
– Film forming structure;
– A yield strength as high as 3450 MPa (500 x 103 psi);
– Stability in the presence of most solvents;
– Effective lubricating properties from cryogenic temperatures to about 350°C in air (1200°C in inert or vacuum conditions).
Molybdenum disulfide will perform as a lubricant in vacuo where graphite fails.
Molybdenum Disulfide is able to provide the following characteristics:
- Very high resistance to high loads and vibrations
- Excellent corrosion protection
- Water resistant
The addition level in special greases is between 2% and 20% depending on the properties that you want to give to the final product and depending on the final application application.
Available in different grades and purities up to 99% of MOS2 content; the main ones are:
– SS FINE – BSM 05
– SUPER FINE – BSM 10
– TECHNICAL FINE – BSM 30
– TECHNICAL – BSM 45